By the time I get home in the evening, which given the state of Manchesters public transport can often be 7.30pm, i’m not really in the mood to hang around an oven for too long. This is where my slow cooker comes in, as long as I remember to switch it on in the morning and do a bit of prep the night before my dinners ready before I even walk through the door. Obviously a winner.
I had high hopes for this stew with its melt in the mouth sweet potato and rich coconut milk – I let it cook for around 9 hours which was perhaps a little too long. It was tasty and filling however next time i’d take the skin off the sweet potato as they were quite bitter, also not too sure about the thyme. Defo more curry powder next time too! It needs a bit more of a kick, one to work on….
Here’s the recipe:
Jamaican Red Bean Stew
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 Onion
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 can tinned tomatoes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (wasn’t keen on this, optional..I put some cumin in there as well)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I used chilli powder and i’d use more next time!)
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup/250ml coconut milk
- 1 cup/250ml vegetable broth
- Optional: 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Pour the oil into the slow cooker and turn the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Add the carrots, onion, sweet potato, and tomatoes.
- Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste
- Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or 9 hours + if you have a full time job and unreliable public transport)
Serve with rice or crusty bread.